Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Monument Valley


Valley of the Gods
Canyon De Chelle was only a hundred miles away, and before I went down there 70 miles south of 160, I wanted to go north of Kayenta thru Monument Valley to Mexican Hat.
I wanted to run the Valley of the Gods road that curls around to the base of the Moki Dugway.
Today was to be the day, but I had to get the DR going first. When I filled the bike up from the out of gas situation, it wouldn't start. I got up early and ripped the carb off again...I was getting good at it by now.
As I looked the carb over I found a bugger in the float needle....and something that I'd missed before. When I dropped the carb out on the trail the other day, it fell on a capped off vacuum nipple and cut a hole in the rubber vacuum cap.
Crap all I had to do is plug that hole and all would be well. Sure enough the DR ran like a scalded dog when I got it back together.
Now I was ready for the Valley of the Gods road. :clap

The real Valley of the Gods

Nip and I rode out of camp by 9:30 to another ideal day. We made the first 30 mile destination to Kayenta, and stopped at MD's for breakfast and a bit of internet catch up.
We agreed to go our separate ways for the day and meetup tonight at the campground at Canyon De Chelle.
It was 45 miles of pavement out to Mexican Hat so I towed out there thru Monument Valley. Lately I've been there 3 or 4 times, but I took pictures again as I rode. Pictures thru there are always different due to cloud and sunlight conditions....so here are my latest.....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

I was struck with how much this one looked like an Indian maid.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


I unloaded in Mexican Hat and started out on the V of G road about 10 miles east of town. The road is only 16 miles long going over to 261....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

The road is ride-able by any bike, but there is a lot less stress on a lighter DS motorcycle.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

This is BLM land so dispersed 'free' camping is allowed out there. Lots of rock fire rings show evidence of over nighters. It's very clean with no trash of any kind.....and lots more natural monuments.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


Almost too soon I find myself at Hwy 261 looking at the cliff that hosts the 'Moki Dugway'.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

looking down...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From the top....That building down there is the 'Valley of the Gods B and B'.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


Once on top I had to make the 6 mile ride west to Muley Point. Camping here is also possible with all of MV in the background.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's the San Juan River down there. See that little bit of water there on the right?
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Well at a 10 power zoom you can see folks having a ball down there. :freaky
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's John Brown road there below the cliff. I won't get there this trip, but I will someday.....
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Note the fire ring...
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


I headed back to Mexican Hat. Along the way I got off the main road to capture the Mexican Hat rock.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

Behind the rock hides the San Juan River as well as that magnificently patterned hillside.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


I went back thru Monument Valley toward Kayenta. Note the different colors of the scenery later in the day.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


The wind kicked up again on the road from 160 to Many Farms (Many Farms is an Indian Town). There was quite a bit of blowing sand, but it was only a 60 miles long ride.
I was happy to be in the shaded campground of Canyon De Chelle. The large trees provided shelter from the wind. Nip showed up shortly, and we went into the town of Chinle, and enjoyed Burger King's finest for dinner.
Did I mention that it's a free campground.....? :evil
(added recently,,,,,several years later the Feds began charging for camping.)

1 comment:

  1. Great views..... and a weird pic of the front wheel of your bike. Stitching doesn't always get it correct.

    ReplyDelete