Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Riding the Southwest

A few years back, I found reasons for riding around the southwest began piling up. First, I had been at home for a while and needed to get out in the world. Second, there was a motorcyle get-together brewing in mid June in southwest Co. Third, AAA maps describe Indian country as a swath of the southwest thru Az, Ut, NM, and Co where interesting thing to be seen abound.

I'd been there several times, but there was much that I hadn't seen. I completed 3 weeks and 3000 miles in IC. I saw a lot....and as it's big country, there is still enough left for another trip next year....and probably another and then another. :clap

As many of you know I live in southern Ca a little north of San Diego. The equipment remains the same. I'd be taking the DS bike with me as well.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag

That's an 1100cc Honda doing the heavy lifting, and the DR350 is for the light work. Primarily this was a camping trip with light use of a motel here and there.
From Riding SM4C, Sabmag


The trailer is homebuilt from V65 Sabre trailing arms, and it uses disk brakes from the same bike in a surge brake fashion. The trailer tongue compresses and applies the brake.
From Odds and ends

Disk brake
From Odds and ends


I've got 3 years and about 15000 miles on this trailer setup towing. I consider it pretty well tested by now. I used a Sabre fork for the sliding tongue.
From Odds and ends


.......anyway, enough about the rig....let me tel you about the ride. It began on June the second......

1 comment: